View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 01:17 AM   #19
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 14

Hello Allen,

Thank you for the mail. The quote from McNally was a typo and should have been kokoro. I am pretty certain he gives a selection of kanji because Mabuchi uses them.

I think that the term intention, so beloved of aikido students, opens a large can of big and juicy worms and I avoid using the term with respect to training. I hinted at some reasons when discussing H P Grice in an earlier column.

One if the interesting things about Kukai is his theory of language & rhetoric, part of a long tradition going back to the ancient Near East and India, as well as China and Greece. In their Shingon borrowings, however, Shido Yamaguchi and Onisaburo Deguchi appear to have omitted this and so resort to what some Japanese call the 'homophone method'. Since I have taught philosophy and/of language here for the past 25 years (in English and Japanese) and have also suffered the atrocious punning of my Japanese colleagues, especially those who are thought to be 'experts' in the Japanese language, I have developed a healthy skepticism for this kind of word play.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury