Thread: Nihonjinron
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #62
Buck
United_States
Re: Nihonjinron

Quote:
Rennis Buchner wrote: View Post
Nihonjinron. In general the idea that gets under many people's skin is that Nihonjinron goes beyond mere pride in one's culture, etc, and heads into the realms of "only Japan does this and no where else in the world can this be found or even understood" territory.

Yes most people generally find their own culture to be superior, but the "proof" given in many Nihonjinron arguments is often demonstrably false. In the worst cases, many of the ideas pushed as a "praising Japanese culture" ring of white-supremacists claiming their views are merely a "celebration of white European culture".
First of all, I am glad you took the time post. Here are my comments. If a person says, they feel Japanese are unique (refering to the culture in general sociological and anthropological terms, the way most people do generally.) there are those who will make assumptions and jump to conclusions that person is using the word "unique" to support those who feel the Japanese are being supremacists, much like white-supremacists. Rather than like myself who is taking the word "unique" to be defined in the common terms which has no connection to supremacy as use by supremascists. Rather, (being) distinctively characteristic of only one person, group, or thing. In this case, in culture, way of life, etc.

I have never experienced that from those Japanese I have had known, so I am unaware of that. I have noticed they have pride in their culture, but not more then anyone else. This has been my experience. This simply means I have not experienced what you discribed. Though, I have read parts of Yukio Mishima, and read things about him, but I have not seen that extermism with those I have known. Also, I know the Japanese where a major player in WWII and what got them into the war. Those I know support the idea, they lost the war, but won the peace type of thing.

Because of the attitude you describe by some western writers who liken the Japanese pride (Nihonjinron) to be equal to white-supremacy does that have any basis on the writing of authors such as Mishima, and for the reasons for Japan to be major players in WII? Honestly, it sounds like the criticism of Gregory and other westerners is an extreme. I don't hear that type of criticisms like from those western writers in Aikido, or other Japanese cultural things like that in the US. I don't think I ever experienced, at least that I am aware of, Nihonjinron in Aikido, other Japanese cultural things, or from those I know. Again, I don' t live in Japan where it might be a different story. I don't know.

Quote:
Anyways, for the record, I have read Western academic authors who have approached the term in a non-negative fashion as well, so your arguments of it being a Western (implied bashing) vs Japan thing ring false.
FWIW, I was stating that I have read things that discuss both sides. I look a both sides of the coin, not arguing or judging or anything like that. I don't know enough about the arguements make for or against Nihonjinron. I don't know much about Nihonjinron. Point is, I know that am aware that there are arguements on both sides. I don't take sides because there is no reason for me to do so.

Quote:
Indeed some of the early major players in pushing the idea were Westerners writing about Japan. The problem I think many have with the idea, regardless of it positive and negative aspects, is that, while starting as an innocent enough attempt to define the main cultural values, ideas, mainstays of Japan, the idea as a whole has basically become an extremist view of a culture, which doesn't really lend itself to a fair, balanced, in depth or accurate reflection of how the culture really is. Like most forms of extremism, there are plenty of grains of truth and facts in there. It is the leaps of logic taken with those that make it a questionable window through which to view and judge a culture (or Japan's culture in this case).
This is different that just having pride in one's culture and prefering it to others.
So, the Japanese are extermists that don't look at their culture in a balance, fair, in depth, or accurate reflection. Oh wait, that sounds like our polititians, political parties, politics and the media .

It's true that some Western writers helped advocate the idea of Nihonjinron. Then there are western writers in their criticisms who liken the Japanese to white-supremacists. I hope then that someone who isn't on board with either views isn't singled out and well.....you know, what us westerners do in these cases, history tells us that loud and clear. I am starting to see better what is going on here.

And then it is true Japan's extereme view of its self is different than from how other cultures see themselves according to western writers and those who support these writers' views?

A very good and informative post, that really clears things up. I am glad you posted. Thanks.

Last edited by Buck : 07-02-2009 at 09:41 PM.