Thread: Trust
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 02:47 AM   #48
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Trust

My view of trust comes through the filter of having parents who were both filled to the brim with love for me, bent over backwards for me in so many ways I owe them everything (near enough), yet also battled with their own issues which at times created truly bad situations; of friends who helped me when it wasn't always in their best interest and then lying to me or otherwise betraying me at other times when it was. I trust that good people do bad things and that bad people do good things and that no matter how intuitive or knowledgeable I may be, I trust that I cannot trust I will always perceive accurately, and being that I have to take that into account in every situation I'm in, it makes for some distrustful thinking.
...Or, expect the unexpected...though you can rest assured the normally-expected will then take precedence, right?
I think Aikido can lead to a greater sense of trust and intuition because it is interaction-based. Through the daily movements of our training, we can learn to recognize things for what they are. It's a subtle art, and obviously just going through the motions is meaningless, but it can be improved by being open-minded...interestingly enough it seems in order to make accurate presumptions (my take on trust) I've had to learn to presume little or nothing.
...and those aren't henchmen reaching for guns, they're just some of the earliest cases of the Napoleon complex.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 06-28-2009 at 02:53 AM.

Gambarimashyo!