View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #28
salim
United_States
Re: The Challenge of Not Competing

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
At Emory, we compete as a means of evaluating our ability to execute a technique, or priniciple, or whatever. In a more true definition, we are checking ourselves for competency executing a technique, or priniciple, or whatever. We may play judo, we may set up a sparring scenario or we may simply allow nage a number of techniques to apply against uke without uke's prior knowledge. All of these situations provide some means of critically evaluating technical skill executing a technique. I am convinced good aikido works in these scenarios, so if our aikido breaks down...keep training I suppose.
I love that kind of training because I get to see which students excel at striking, or grappling, or being obstenant, or being aggressive, or whatever - I learn something just watching...

Competition has a winner and loser because we choose to recognize those classes. Nobody ever got an award for 42nd place in anything, but it is a class distinction just as first, second, or third place. Competency is a descriptive quality which draws upon recognizing one's ability to [at minimum] adequately perform a qualitative function. I strive to achieve competency in everything I do; if I excel at something, I may choose to compete against others to evaluate my level of competency.

Who would ever want to be uke if we distinguished winners and losers in aikido?
Jon,

You and Kevin are making too much sense for some people on this thread. The truth hurts and poor excuses to not have to feel a little discomfort is being overshadow with poor excuses. Apparently some are not into competency. That's what makes the difference between truth and falsehood. I agree with your statements, thanks for sharing.