View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #26
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: The Challenge of Not Competing

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
Ron, the discussion has grown, in every meaning of the word, so you may have missed that the illustration of Darwin as half-ape was what I used for my column above. It's from his days. There were many such caricatures published in the newspapers to mock his theory.
The press was just as cruel back then as it is now.

As for the long discussion, I read it with delight and can only say: I agree with you all
I have the impression that we are discussing the two sides of the same coin. I might be wrong.
Yes, I caught that, which is why I linked to it again. One of my sad attempts at humor. You may not have seen the movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"...in one scene the KKK grand dragon is giving a speach and refers to Darwinism as "people who say we are descended from monkeys"...and then "That's not my culture and herritage...".

I guess if you have to explain it...

As to competition in aikido, well...I've seen some very competitive aikido (and played one myself at times) in supposedly non-competitive dojo. Sometimes I think we are just fooling ourselves. I don't think competition is all bad, and I don't think non-competition is all good. The middle road usually seems more comfortable to me.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)