View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 AM   #31
philippe willaume

United Kingdom
Re: Aiki-Ken vs reality

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
Agreed..Few people I have met (me included quite allot more often these days) train with the intensity of life and death in mind.

My point was... at a point were you match intensity with your opponent What prevails? I am sure weapons can be a huge factor sure...But beside a huge dose of luck...What factors make one prevail in "reality"

I myself have experianced reality a few times without a Bokken or live blade. In hindsight I am happy that my Aikido Practice emphasizes "Aikido is the Sword"
and as a result I found my practice was very helpful.

William Hazen
Hi William
I think lots, not say most, of tactical methods are directly transferable from fencing to hand to hand.
English bare knuckle pugilism (pre the-not-so-divine marquis) is thought to have been very close to fencing.

Most of you potential SD opponents will try to bypass you defence as you bypass the point of your opponent in fencing.
Beside duelling (I.E fighting conservatively from an organised position) is time consuming regardless of the weapon (as long it is not a projectile weapon that is) and that is not really in tune with the objective of your average SD customer.
phil

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.