View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #20
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: How Should We Conduct a Black Belt Presentation?

I am still a 6th kyu in aikido, but in my aikijitsu class I earned my black belt. It was rather simple. You don't test in that class. When you earn it, they give it to you. You never really know when you are going to get it and oftentimes, they are watching you for a full month before you get it. You mess up, bye bye belt. Anywho, at the end of class, I turned around and one of my teachers was holding the belt. I reid, took off my brown belt, put on the black belt and then was called out to the center of the mat to do several kata. After that, class was over. In that dojo, you didn't get your first degree right away. It was an additional six months for you to earn it. You had to show that you didn't get a big ego or anything like that. Unfortunately, I never did get to shodan! HAHA.... but it wasn't because of an ego, I ended up moving for grad school. Anywho, I never did get to wear that belt again after class and I can honestly say, because of that reason, I don't really consider myself a "black belt"

To answer your question, would I have liked a ceremony? Meh. Not too sure. My friends from class gave me congrats and hugs after, my parents were there (my sensei snuck them down) and my boyfriend (who is now my hubby) was there to see me get it. I think it was nice to have a few family members there, but I don't think it is a mandatory thing for me.

The funny part was, when I saw my parents, I purposely lined up as far away from them as possible. Because of that.... they weren't even able to get a picture of me receiving or putting on my black belt. DOH!

I think it is a belt to be proud of (if you honestly feel proud of earning it) and you should feel accomoplished, but it is just another step up the ladder. It should be neither minimized or capitalized.

Well, that is the opinion of a lowly white belt. HAH!