View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 05:20 AM   #3
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Aikibudo vs. Aikido

Quote:
Brian Northrup wrote: View Post
If it wasnt for WWII, do you think that O'SENSEI would have left the name of his art Aikibudo?

In the book "The Spirit Of Aikido" by his son, he states that when Japan was getting ready to enter into the war, they created a martial arts union for all of the martial arts of Japan to enter in at that time. And that he didnt want his art to be lumped into it so he changed the name to Aikido and retreated to Iwama. And it was the name Aikido that was entered into that association.

I am just wondering if anyone else has read this book and has come to the same conclusion that i have, that he probably would have preferred to keep the name Aikibudo.
Look around, you may find the history is not exactly as it was described in this book. There is actually a thread going on just about this issue:
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16295

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Hi

Hm, I think it is a known fact, that Ueshiba didn't create the name "aikido" himself but only accepted it.
And also that Hirai can't be seen as a representativ of the kobukan or as a deshi of Ueshiba.
The name "aikido" came up completely without Ueshibas involvement.

The budo of Ueshiba had had several other names before.
And the term "aikido" is also used (was at first used?) for the art of Hirai Minoru who is also entitled "o sensei" and sometimes in some branches of aiki jujtsu.

So one should not put too much meaning into that word.

Carsten
As a practioner of Korindo Aikido (the art Hirai Sensei created) myslef, I was always told Ueshiba used the name Aikido for his art, before Hirai. I also never heard anyone call him "O Sensei" seems his direct students felt he would not have liked that and prefered to be called only "Sensei".

One should also recall, Hirai Sensei headed the commitee which set the name "aikido", he did not invent it, the honour of that act goes to Mr Tatsuo Hisatomi from the Kodokan.

BR
Amir