View Single Post
Old 07-04-2002, 10:22 AM   #12
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Point of 1000 cuts

I get to wonder about some the "Expert" advice some of you guys are giving?

There is a simple view of 1000 cuts, but then there is another purpose for bringing it up.

If you can do 100 cuts perfectly, but then your form deteriorates after 100 cuts is the weight of your bokken correct?

If this person who asks about weight is rather large, well muscled ... is it good advice to have him use a lighter bokken that doesn't challenge him to pay attention to form because he easily muscles it to adapt to form?

Maybe, some of you experts should sit and take notes on how badly many of the beginners mistakenly try to muscle form rather than taking the time to let form become the strength of practice?

Hence, the futility of bad form for 1000 cuts forces the individual to correct form.

You cannot continue to cut badly and not feel physical feedback that tells you something is wrong. Simple advice? Maybe.

How many thousands of times did you go through practice before someone commented that the last technique you did was really good? The words can only lead the mind up to a point, then the body must be the teacher to performance/ execution.

I have been in too many classes where beginners do no more than 50-100 cuts, and their form quickly deteriorates into tired, lackluster cuts ... because they chose a weapon that was the same weight as sensei's when a cheaper, lighter bokken would have been fine.

There will almost never occur a need or time to carry a sword into public to defend yourself, it has become a training tool for hand to hand techniques.

If I was to use the logic of 10 good cuts are better than a hundred bad cuts, then in about fifteen minutes we could conclude all Aikido practice sessions with 10 well performed techniques rather than 100 bad ones?

Absurd? Well, that is what I gather from that type of logic.

What is more likely, the percentage of your good cuts, or techniques, will increase with practice over a period of time.

Maybe we need to exceed your weight for bokken to apply the theorey that your form will overcome weight once you have been physically exhausted?

Just a training technique I have used to find the easiest path without muscling a bokken.