View Single Post
Old 07-04-2002, 07:17 AM   #12
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Hello,

Unfortunately we cannot change the behavior of immature and uneducated adults today, so those of you with children, please please please encorage them to use their brains. Semi-inteligent people can see through their immediate emotional response and think about the situation (thoroughly) before reacting. Unfortunatly I find that most people of my gender do not do this. Unfortunatly this creates awkward, annoying, inappropriate situation in the dojo. Hopefully traing will help them mature. As if dealing with a small child, ignore inappropriate behavior, and acknowledge decent behavior (unless ofcourse it is too distracting/harmful, then speak to Sensei).
Alas, in the country where I practise, Sensei might well be the very last person one should speak to about gender-related issues in the dojo.

Though he does not do aikido as far as I know, Ian Buruma has much to say about Japanese gender issues in "The Japanese Mirror" (published in the US as "Behind the Mask: On Sexual Demons, Sacred Mothers, Transvestites, Gangsters, Drifters and Other Japanese Cultural Heroes, Pantheon books, 1984).

Don't be put off by the title, by the way. It's a briliant book.

Best regards,

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 07-04-2002 at 07:21 AM.

P A Goldsbury