jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: Practical Peace

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Osu,
Agreed.
If you resort to violence, you are not longer the hero.
And none who have resorted to it would disagree. They wouldn't think of themselves as heros either.
The people they saved and protected might though, (but probably not).
Rei, Domo.
Quote:
If you resort to violence, you are not longer the hero.
This is a perfect quote which combines a fact with an opinion (presented as a fact). In this syllogy the premise is that if one commits violent act, then they are not a hero. Without a clarification of "violence," or any of the plethora of exceptions that would arise from testing this syllogy, it is not even a statement to which one can respond.

1. At the risk of sounding corny, I appreciate those men and women everyday protect me, my family, and my country. I appreciate my fire fighters, police men, and paramedics who keep me safe. I call all of these people heros because they make difficult decisions everyday that I could not make. I am thankful the weight of those decisions rests upon their shoulders and not mine. I am glad there are people who can (and do) shoulder these burdens of which many of us are ignorant.
2. Hero is not a self-awarded title. I once heard a saying, "The gravity of difficult decisions should be enough to keep us grounded in reality." Heroes carry with them the burden of their decisions. Leaders carry with them the burden of their decisions. these people do not need from us some tag that says what they did is good or bad; they know.