View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
DH
United_States
Re: Third Point and Separating Triangles

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
I've heard triangles and a 'third point' used to explain taking balance in Aikido before by Shihans (e.g., it was how I was first taught tenchinage), and found it very helpful. It may be 'basic and physical', but our bodies are physical so I think even if you want to go 'beyond' a low level physical model of taking balance, to me it seems that you still have to take the basic physics of balance and anatomy into account.
Not really
Trained bodies do not move or react like normal bodies. Not everyone who claims to move from their center has a clue what that means. Not everyone who does know what it means...can actually do anything to a high degree.
You would need to feel people who can do certain things with their bodies to know what I mean. I'd suspect there are quite a few surprises coming in the future for those Shihan you cite who think -they- got it, after they meet more and more juniors in the art who actually do. Just the fact that they teach these things without teaching how to cancel them out within the body (without techniques or movement of any kind) pretty much tells us what they really think of us in the first place. They are NOT helping like they could. Right there, right at that moment, they could teach some pretty substative things that most would adopt and begin to train and would never go back to the way they moved before ...by choice.
Why are we NOT being shown? Pick a reason. People will come along shortly to give you a bevy of excuses for it. Doesn't really matter much when you are the one not being taught though does it?
Cheers
Dan