Old 07-03-2002, 10:42 AM   #19
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Re: No Perfect Training Method

Quote:
Originally posted by George S. Ledyard
we don't look like each other.
Your the better looking of the group. But then, that's a subject for another thread all together.

There are a lot of Yoshinkan schools that spend time training with other Aikido instructors. The one thing I loved most about my first teacher, Yamashita Sensei, is he believes like most here, at some point we as students need to move beyond what we are taught and make Aikido our own. I was fortunate enough to have a good understanding of the Yoshinkan basics, because we were drilled in it, and was also able to experience the techniques of such senseis as our very own George Ledyard, Jack Wada, John Nadeu (sp?), Chiba Sensei, Bernice Tom , Lou Perilleo (sp?), John Thompson, the folks at Pikes Peak Aikikai, Aikido of Reno as well as Toni Anassi, Don Angier and a host of others. With each visit, I always try to take a least one new thing home with me and make it a part of my own Aikido.

I've also been fortunate enough to train with Yoshinkan's Chida Sensei, Parker Sensei, Shioda Yasushia Sensei, Chino Sensei, Morita Masatoshi Sensei as well as Sensei's Sam Combes, Fred Haynes, Allister Thompson, Jacques Payet, John Fox and David Dye, as well others, and each of them are dynamic and fluid in there own way yet display a strong basic foundation.

None of this has muttled my brain and I find that having experienced this has helped me understand Aikido better. However, I am a "COMPANY" man and still make sure that I stick to the Yoshinkan principles of basic movement as it has bailed me out on many ocassions. Case in point ... I had a Aikikai visitor one time and I purposely deferred from doing our normal class so he would have a good time. Low and behold, he managed to turn out of my shiho-nage. Once he did that, I went back to my basics and darn near broke his arm because he resisted as before. He was very excited to learn this so I first started by teaching our kihon dosa. Afterwards, he shared his understanding of the technique with me and we experimented for a while and both walked away with a new view on life ... This is a great attitude to have.

However, I agree with Peter Goldsbury that this type of training should not occur until you as a student has grasp the basic concepts as taught by your teacher. I had a student training with me and a USAF dojo and it was definitely hindering his progress. With my support, he chose to stick with the USAF dojo and still visits us from time to time. His basics are very good now and the last time he trained with us, he did very well.

Anyway .. this has been a great thread thus far and I appreciate everyones good manners and great posts. Thanks for sharing.

Heiwa ...