View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #95
Allen Beebe
United_States
Re: O sensei and 'correct ukemi'

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Hi Ron,
Just to give you something more to think about ...

Thread:
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15054

I asked about the definition of taisabaki. Kent Enfield posted some very interesting information.

Now, if Ueshiba was moving out of the way of uke's attack and then blending with uke as most of aikido currently works, then why didn't the kendo people come to Ueshiba to learn ashi sabaki? How to move out of the way? Or could tai sabaki be used here to mean more of a body manipulation in a sense of correct alignment of hips, spine, upper body, etc and generating power within that internal working environment.

From a personal viewpoint, I work on correct alignment of my hips and spine when I'm doing push test exercises. It really is body manipulation, specifically correct alignment. As I note in my vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr17-NgGdSs

And if I try to do anything dynamically, I still have to keep correct body manipulation/alignment.
Hi Guys,

I've posted this before, but it seems relevant.

After training Kendo one day a group of us went out to eat and Robert Stroud (7th Dan Kyoshi I believe) told me the following story because he knew I trained/taught Aikido:

A similarly gathered bunch of Kendoka were all eating and drinking and someone asked Nakakura Kiyoshi* why he was such a powerful/successful Kendoka even into his 90's. His answer took everyone by surprise, "It is because of my Aikido training."**

Obviously Nakakura Kiyoshi didn't mean it is because he learned Daito ryu/Aikido Waza . . . he didn't do that in Kendo. If one looks at video of his matches his ashi sabaki isn't that unusual. So I'm guessing he learned something *more* that made the difference that allowed him to perform and compete successfully into his later years.

Best,
Allen

*Nakakura Kiyoshi is a legendary Kendoka that was one of the famous "Three Crows" who, at one time, was going to be the inheritor of Aikido from Ueshiba Morihei. My teacher, Shirata Rinjiro, studied Kendo with him while they both were at the Kobukan.

**Unfortunately this is all a paraphrase since I didn't right the story down, nor was I there to here it first hand. But I think the significance remains just the same.

~ Allen Beebe