View Single Post
Old 07-02-2002, 11:06 PM   #13
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
Re: Kihon Waza

Quote:
Originally posted by George S. Ledyard

When I first moved to Seattle after training with Saotome Sensei I was a Nidan. When Bookman Sensei came back from Japan and settled in Seattle I trained half time with him and half time with Mary Heiny Sensei. I found that Bookman Sensei had extremely clean and precise kihon waza. I got a chance to train with other students of Chiba Sensei and I drew the following conclusion: At an equivalent level their students tended to be more precise and cleaner in their execution of the kihon waza. They were very good at doing the same technique the same way each time with power and precision. But what we had in the ASU was the ability to link techniques together. When one technique didn't work we immediately moved into another. Also, when a partner tried to change the energy of his attack we had been taught that there were many variations and were capable of running a technique in any of four or five ways depending on what was appropriate. The Chiba students at the same level weren't as good at that.

I aggree with a lot of your post and veiws, but two things that are really confusing me right now. I train in Yoshinkan Aikido and your post was really good and informative. But when Payet teaches us we have a lot of variation ( IE shomen, yokomen, swariwaza, ursiro waza, two hand grab, ect..) , chaining between tech is used , its not really taught persay. and we change partners. not training with 1 person is stressed at times in our dojo. It seems in yoshinkan we stress the importance of having strong techniqe so you dont let uke get the chance to redirect energy or get you off balance thats the point of the Kinho dosa to have a strong base so you are stable throuout the entire tech. While I agree that doing it the same over and over is done repetivily does cause preconception this helps build a strong base when you do randori you need a strong base or else uke can escape between the tech, and randori is NEVER exactly the same, Payet stresses big pivoting and not using muscle. I agree tho that we have week areas and I know that each dojo is different and I am really thrilled that two different variations of Aikido are trying to help each other out. Because if we have fences in AIkido then it is no longer AIkido.. Just my 2 cents.. Great post George S. Ledyard and Hope this doesnt feel like an attack I Know I have trouble learning new stuff even in my own orginization!! happy training

Dallas Adolphsen