View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #26
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Re: O sensei and 'correct ukemi'

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Hi Charles,
It is a nice theory, but today everybody agree that O sensei didn't teach, and even wasn't interested at all if anybody can learn something from him. It works against the idea that he wanted to pass some knowledge to his students.

The fact that somebody wants to FEEL a technique from him and adjusts his own ukemi for that goal, doesn't prove at all that that requirement comes from O sensei himself.You are trying to inverse a logic here, sorry.
Hi Szczepan,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I have failed in explaining what I believe is supposed to be happening in the transmission of an art from a Japanese teacher to a Japanese student.

Let me try this. For anyone interested in how this transmission is supposed to go, I highly recommend reading up on the psychology of "tatemae/honne" and "omote/ura". Then read all of Dr. Goldsbury's essays with these ideas in mind, especially the seemingly innocuous ones that don't even address Aikido directly (I personally enjoyed the stories of Hiroshima City Police committee and the car/bicycle accident.)

Then when you hear from a deshi of the founder "O'Sensei was beyond technique." "I didn't understand a word he said." "O'Sensei mainly taught about spiritual matters." "O'Sensei didn't teach." you then might be able to catch the wink.