View Single Post
Old 08-30-2000, 05:42 AM   #87
guest1234
201 people (50% of those polled) admitted to prejudice on the mat--- the 'bias' of my question was to ask who that was, and why they held those prejudices. some people are open to changing a prejudiced view, and maybe some of them have now that their particular fears have been addressed (hurting women, being embarrassed if the woman is better, etc)---isn't that what prejudice is all about, fear? so hopefully more than 2.5% of those with fears also had their fears addressed when the five or so who described theirs posted a reply.
at what point does a woman know her abilities better than the man who is telling her she can't do what she thinks she can? and if we don't test and stretch the limits of our ablities, then how do we grow? How do we train, if 50% of those on the mat do not see us as individuals, and try to help us grow by letting us stretch? and if 50% of students and teachers polled said they treated (substitute the minority of choice) differently on the mat than they did Caucasians, would that poll have passed without comment, and would the answer be to ignore it and just train? we talk a lot about other training fears---falling, rolling, etc, why not address these fears of 201 people? we are training; i find those who will let me feel the technique, i find those who will help me practice ukemi---before and after class, if i can't get it during. But some of us would like to see a bit less prejudice.