View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #34
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: The same basic teaching

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
And after Feldenkrais, I just wouldn't put the quotes around "natural", at least as far as the aikido I learned from Mochizuki Sensei or the judo I learned from him as he learned it from Kano and Mifune. In fact, I'd say my judo benefited very much from the Feldenkrais experience I've had. But these experiences led me to the ideas I've often expressed concerning child movement and aikido.
Hi David;

"Natural" movement in the Asian cosmology idea means movement that conforms with the laws of physics/nature. For instance when we "close" (into a near foetal ball, for example) we wind inward with out arms and legs and bend the back over forward; when we "open" we unwind outward to set angles, etc. The theory is that these 'openings' and 'closings' at their optimal levels function ideally using the solidity of the ground to open and the force of gravity/weight to close. This is "natural" movement. It doesn't mean "instinctive" movement, in that sense, although a lot of westerners mistranslate the cosmological idea along those lines. There is a more subtle level of that discussion, but it's not worth buggering up this thread with anymore OT's then we already have.
Quote:

I think he was at a deeper root, which, having attained it, would allow one to learn the skills you describe more easily than someone who had not connected fully with that root.
Or he could have been shallower, rather than deeper. I don't know. But I'm always willing to look around.

Best.

Mike