<<agrees with Dan 100%
I'm draw on experiences I've related in the Sempai Knows Best? thread to say that this sort of behavior I find quite frustrating. Sometimes you can just see the baffles closing as a mind locks down:
0. (Technique is shown)
1. Let's see, that looks like iriminage...
2. What was that, was someone talking?
3. (references internal memory of techniques)
4. Yep, that's iriminage
5. ho de do (whistling)
6. There's that talking again.
7. Let's train, here's my iriminage, the same iriminage I always do... the same I've always done.
With never a mind that something was being emphasized as being different, or a different variation was being shown. I see it within style as well as across style, but because this is a matter of personal development, there's nothing to do but just flow, flow, flow.