View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #79
Mark Gibbons
United_States
Re: Dance, Wrist Locks & Sub-Teens

Quote:
Thomas Donelson wrote: View Post
Teaching about Pain/Injury of a wrist lock:

The object of any wrist-lock prectice exercise is is to create some minimal pain in your partner, but not severe pain, or injury. It is important that you look at your partner for signs of pain, or excessive pressure.

Once you feel that pain and position indicate yor paertner is in need of release, you can shout, "Break, Release, Break" and you and your partner should go apart, maybe even b ow to each other, to show respect for the BREAK.

Your partner should be trained to communicate that pain and position have been acheived, and that release of the wrtist hold is being requested. Some in Aikdo have been trained to slap the mat once. to signal a request for a release and break, Roy Dean DVD's. Some in Aikido suggest slapping the mat twice, is a more certain process to institute a release and break.

There is a natural tendency to retaliate if someone has caused you pain. It is important for both partners to resist a cycle of retaliation, and to understand that it is the partner's responsiblity to slap the mat, or the thigh of his leg, to make a Slapping Sound. The person in the Wrist Lock can also yell, "Hurts, Break! Hurts, Break!"

The first practice sessions with wrist-locks should be about breaking, and slapping to signal pain. Variations in applying the Gooseneck wrist lock can take second place, until the Break routine is established as a pattern.

If you teach kids that the object of the locks is pain I think that's what they will try to inflict when they use the locks. Personally, I don't think the object of locks is to inflict pain. Done well, in my experience, they don't hurt unless uke fights them or doesn't go to where nage is leading.

Kids sometimes get suspended from school when they cause other kids pain. I know of two aikido students that got in trouble at school and at the dojo for showing off their aikido. Your methods when used for self defence seem to be about pain and inflicting pain on children that don't know about asking someone to let up (kids doing wrist locks on serious adults just does not work so I'm not really considering that as a possibility). I don't know how that will work, but suspect it will backfire and end up in escalation and suspensions. I think the training you seem to be putting together from youtube and seemingly limited personal experience is not something I would want my daughter exposed to. My opinon.

I can't tell what you mean by Anger Releasing Aikido. I don't know of a branch of Aikido that offers such a thing. What branch or style did you mean?

Regards,
Mark