View Single Post
Old 08-29-2000, 09:07 PM   #82
guest1234
Quote:
Erik wrote:
At the risk of incensing you all further may I suggest that your partners may be right in going easier on you. AAAAAAAaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhh, the flames, IT BURNS!!!!!

Ok, here's what I mean. I remember working with a guy (he'd done something for a year or so but was new to Aikido) who in the middle of a relatively slow practice said to me, with a fair dose of arrogance, "you don't have to go so easy with me, I can take it." Something about it just pissed me off, so as he came in with the yokomen strike, I dropped an atemi on him full-force. Now my definition of atemi in this case is a very powerful hip energy which when received feels like a strike but isn't. Basically a pulled punch with full blown energy. I'm a bigger guy so this can be a lot of energy if I get it right--I did.

Anyways, after we peeled him off the ceiling, I explained to him why we went the speed we did although I'm pretty sure he got it by then.

For the record, I attack women exactly the same way I do men.

[Edited by Erik on August 28, 2000 at 11:17pm]
perhaps if the testosterone level were lower, you might have explained to him why you were going slowly, or have found a medium speed between what you were doing and peeling him off of the ceiling. again, i have no quarrel with those who as nage don't want to practice up to my level, just in an insincere attack when i'm nage.
just as likely (probably more so) as the male in a male-female mix knowing her ability better than she, is that SHE knows best. so all we are asking is to be treated with respect. respect our abilities, and our assessment of them. when so many women are saying they feel men are not treating them based on their abilities, and so many men in this thread admitting they do not treat them based on their abilities (eg, 'i am softer on women'), then i'd say i see a trend.
Magma used a technique i like to use (because the military is race sensitive but still learning to be gender bias free), substitute a minority race for women in any of the sentences you've typed, and see how they sound: I'm softer on Blacks; Mexicans don't like bruises; nage might be a better judge of your ability than you, it has nothing to do with the fact that you are Jewish. then take a long look in the mirror.