View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #19
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Re: Rising tide of hooligans and mass attacks

Caltrops

Alex, good story. Outward calmness even in if in the insides you're squirming. Something like poker face for the martial artists. I've seen a documentary on TV about this guy going around the world looking for great martial artists and their feats. The host is some guy with CMA back ground I suppose and it shows on Discovery.

Anyway, he met this Japanese karate sensei I think in Okinawa. The sensei showed his secret technique and I think it was the way he connected. The host couldn't find an opening and eventually had to retreat from the sensei. The sensei all the time was just looking at him with his hands by his sides. No tsuki at all... wow.

But again, I think this ties with option 2. It probably needs a controlled environment where you have the ability to foster a psychological dominance against the opponents. I feel that it would be harder to do with a mob surrounding you unless as some here has mentioned we target the leader first.

There are distinguishable leaders in these gangs nowdays. Yes there will be seniors or so who would dictate general movement, but in our analysis any of the full time members can cajole the rest to follow him into an misadventure.

There are no old school honor in the gangs too. Man o man o is irrelevant. So we've talked about isolating the alpha male and subduing him but that doesn't work either.

You guys remember batman when arkham was broken open by the scarecrow. I know its a movie. But he operates against normal criminals by taking them one by one and creating fear. In the mob situation he couldn't make anyone fear him (ok they were drugged and had lost their senses, but its almost similar to mob theory), thus he was overwhelmed.

William,
what you've said is very relevant. I believe that the rising social ills we have in society today is because society no longer functions with a moral compass.

It used to be that in the older america when you guys used to wear a hat, taking it off in the presence of a woman is considered gentlemanly. At that time, if one didn't do that, another gentleman would have told him to. Doors were open, standing up for them etc etc. Then gradually, common courtesies like those gradually died out. Either through embarrassment or nonchalance.

If someone litters no one speaks out anymore. If someone acts rude and talks dirty, no one tells them off. Its accepted by society. I believe, we start out accepting small things and as we go forward we start accepting bigger things. Now we try not to bat an eye when someone does really provocative stuff like harassing women or mugging someone.

In short, society either doesn't care about social ills or crime, and the criminals make short work of this. They really believe they can get away with it, they also believe that as the strong they have every right to the weak.

Law and justice is also similar. Our legal system doesn't enforce justice. It upholds the law. Laws that are tied to bureaucracy and loopholes that are constantly exploited. Time and time we see criminals are not prosecuted, or if they are, with sentences that does not befit the severity of the crime.

Justice? Well, here I think sometimes the police just knows that a certain gang member keeps getting out even as they spent years on putting him behind bars. So eventually they just bring upon a scenario where they'll end up shooting him instead. Case close. It doesn't happen all the time, but we've read between the lines if we follow cases like the 'mamak gang'. These criminal uses assault weapons and attack goldsmiths, banks and etc. They've run loose for several years before the police finally made some busts. Yet in a couple of months they escape sentencing. So in the end, there was this big report that the police eventually tracked them to their hide out and had a big shoot out that had everyone of the members killed and only 1 being arrested. End result, a lot less grief in the banking world.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.