View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Rising tide of hooligans and mass attacks

I've no idea what the world has come to nowdays. My country Malaysia used to be so peaceful that I've never had fear of walking alone anywhere at anytime.

In the last weekend alone, the paper reported the following:
40 motorcycle gang members surrounded a mother and her son who was waiting at the bus stop and assaulted and robbed them.

Another 30 motorcycle gang members surrounded and assaulted a guy near the national museum.

A man robbed and raped 2 old women (61 years old and 43 years old).

A transvestite attacks women at random. Last victim nearly paralysed.

Even my own brother was attacked by a motorcyclist not 2 weeks ago. And he has since taken up aikido fwiw... (its not my influence I swear!)

Anyway, lets take the first 2 scenarios. I'm sure pretty much all of you have done some randori. And if I've seen some of the videos of Shodan or demo grade randori its pretty much 20-40% speed compared to Seagal senseis randori speed. I would take that his randori may come close to 70% of real world speed (not because of the speed of attacks but because of the violent nature of the attacks. His randori whilst fast and alive do not have the attackers really harming the nage).

Given that, would you consider randori a useful tool for multiple attacks in this surrounded by 20-40 people scenario?

What would you do in this situation anyway?

I suppose my answers will be the following:
1. Not to be in that situation in the first place. Awareness, caution, deterrence and action.
2. To pacify the situation so as not to escalate into full violence.
3. Take down as many as I can before I die.

Sometimes 1 is not possible. If you're walking on one of the busiest stretch of main road (like the one near the national musuem which is about 1km away from a large police station by the way). It'll be like the most unexpected thing to be robbed by 20 people on motorbikes.

2, ah the ideal aiki way. Terry Dobson recalls his encounter in the train with a drunk japanese who was being abusive. Before he can physically 'take' the guy, an old japanese man defused the situation until the drunk practically cried on his lap remorseful that he has lost his job, wife and house. Might be possible when you're dealing with one or two aggressors. Eye contact, voice control, positioning etc. But with so many people, the mob effect takes place. Action comes faster too, when in the former the man wasn't really out there to hurt anyone, he was just lashing out. In the latter you have groups of people who are actively trying to victimise people.

3. Not the best scenario for my dependants. Hardly aiki either.

The question is just a rhetoric. The views here are just my opinion. I'm just thinking out loud you know.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.