View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
Thomas Donelson
United_States
Dance, Wrist Locks & Sub-Teens

Karate training is available to sub-teens, younger than 13.

Training school children how to hit, strike or kick other children may be incomplete training for the school, playground and soccer field environments.

My idea is that if the youngsters stay standing, and don't hit, then teachers don't have to implement discipline. So there are several goals of wrist lock training, aimed at both opponents remaining standing, and training to avoid getting hurt, or inflicting injury.

One Goal of my wrist lock training is to have youngsters avoid getting disciplined, or having witnesses say "That child hit _____." Often witnesses see only part of a confrontation, so even if witnesses are interested in giving a truthful account, striking or kicking in a confrontation, risks a truthful witness giving part of a story, that fails to give the true picture, and can make a child using permissable, lawful self-defense, look guilty.

One concern I have is that when I first learned a wrist techniques, my partner was really upset with me, because I had no judgement about the pain I was causing my partner. So injury is possible, so I am trying to build sensitivity into the training, as a first step.

I am starting to learn more about wrist locks. I know two.

One is with two thumbs on the back of the opponent's hand, bending the hand at the wrist. One hand wrapped around each side of the opponent's hand. The grasp can be initiated as the opponent tries to strike, or other wise extends an arm. Stepping left, right, or backward, forward, to keep a position from which it is difficult for the opponent to strike or kick.

Another wrist lock is for one hand to grab the opponent's arm, just below the wrist, and with the other hand, push the palm against the knuckles of the opponent's hand, bending the hand at the wrist some 80 or 90 Degrees.

I ordered the Roy Dean Wrist-Lock Video. I could call some Aikido instructors, to find their recommendations of books. I have stopped by, some places, when they were closed, or busy. I could be more diligent in stopping by Dojos.

I just did some searches on Amazon. Alibris and a library; Found some more books and DVD's. So I will post back to this thread at least over the next few months. Just starting.

Last edited by Thomas Donelson : 04-12-2009 at 05:20 PM.