View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Re: words like god and ki

Quote:
The words god and ki cause a lot of response...people get emotional and defensive when the words god and ki are used.
Why is that, do you think?

Quote:
If we could set that defensiveness aside and continue to communicate our thoughts while listening to others the real issues might be heard.
You seem to assume here that one cannot be defensive and truly hear a person whose views differ from one's own. Might it not be that one's defensiveness arises because one understands another's viewpoint?

What "real issues" do you mean?

Quote:
Being in the moment and accepting what every uke offers is sacred.
I don't know what you mean here...Perhaps your idea of "sacred" is different than mine...Could you explain a little?

Quote:
This experience helps me connect to others in the outside world. Both god and ki are in the now.
How are these two statements connected, exactly? And what do you mean by "connect to others" and "are in the now"?

Quote:
Aikido training deepens this experience for me making my life a sacred mysterious practice.
What do you mean by life being a "practice"? And do you think that something which makes your life more mysterious, or less clearly understood (which is what I understand "mysterious" to imply), is a positive thing? If so, why?

I hope you don't mind my questions. I come across the kinds of words and phrases you use quite often in the Aikido world and never actually fully understand what is being said. Maybe you can elucidate for me.

Jon.

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."