View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
Re: Invitation: Competition Taiji Push Hands -The Arnold Classic, Columbus, OH, March

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
Hi Chris,
can you link to the rules page for the contest please?
Hi Mike,

I have a set of rules on paper. When I get time, I will transcribe them. For now, a general description.

There will be three (potentially) 2 - minute rounds for each engagement. If one guy wins the first two rounds, then the third one is not held. There are 30 second breaks between rounds.

No striking or kicking (san shou).
No pushing in the groin or face.
Any pushing, throwing, locking, seizing is fine. Leg hooks and sweeps are OK too.

Points are given for causing an opponent to fall, or go out of the three concentric boundaries. The further they go out, the more points.

The game starts with three push hand circles and then it is free-play.

This is not static push hands. It is mobile. It is aggressive, but the relaxed guy who knows grounding (earth), structure (Iron) and pliability (Water) will have the advantage.

Kind of like a sumo match at times, but if you understand structure and grounding, you can stop a bulldozer in his/her tracks and redirect the force with grounding.

Dr. Hwang's son will be giving the demonstration on the pre-event. I am his meat. He is a well trained tiger.