View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 02:04 AM   #3
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 11

Hello Doug,

Actually, I was / am somewhat worried that this column makes too many demands on the non-Japanese reader. However, I think it is very important that people see the problems that translators of O Sensei, like John Stevens, for example, have had to grapple with.

Quote:
Doug Walker wrote: View Post
Not even close to done yet, but in a word -- wow.

The first question so far is where did the text for Budo come from as you say that it has never been published?
PAG. Unlike Budo Renshu, which was published bilingually in 1978, Budo has never been commercially published. I have seen a copy in the Aikikai Hombu Dojo, in the museum located on the 3rd floor of the modern building next to the dojo. Doshu kindly allowed me to look through the book one day at the Hombu. I received my own copy through the great kindness of my friend Stanley Pranin. Stan had some copies made of the edition he had acquired and sent me one. It is very treasured item in my budo library. Stan's essay in the Takemusu Aikido Special Edition volume is indispensable reading.

Quote:
Second, in quote #4 Budo Renshu the Japanese is 伴ふ and the romaji is "tomonau". Same in #8 向ふ/mukou. Am I missing something? I only have experience with modern Japanese.
PAG. When I bought my copy of Morohashi Tetsuji's Dai Kanwa Jiten, I was surprised also to receive a laminated card listing all the changed made in transcribing Japanese since he compiled it. Morohashi was born in 1883, the same year as Morihei Ueshiba, but died quite a few years after O Sensei. His 13-volume dictionary, listing over 50,000 characters used in Japanese was clearly a labor of love. The inputting of okurigana was simplified by 1931, for in the Japanese edition of the notorious Kokutai no Hongi (Fundamental Principles of the National Body (= Japan) that I possess, they are the same as in modern Japanese. However, some of the characters, like koku 國 and tai 體, are not used nowadays and are similar to those found in the Budo text.

Quote:
One more. I am curious about the hiragana ゐ. It seems to take the place of い in the 〜ている construction. Is that correct and how else is it used?
Table 3 (pp.14 & 15) of Hadamitzky & Spahn's Kanji and Kana gives the old Fifty-Sounds Table (五十音図 go-ju-on-zu), including the obsolete kana for i (ゐ ヰ) and e (ゑ ヱ). The kanji input systems I am using are ATOK 2008 and the system that comes with the Japanese version of Apple's i-Mac.

Quote:
On a personal note, looking at what you have done makes me feel like a first grade sissy boy in Japanese ability. Thanks
PAG. Well I have been living here since March 1980, so I ought to have something to show for it.

Best wishes,

PAG

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 02-18-2009 at 02:11 AM.

P A Goldsbury