Thread: Bullying
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #19
BobGorman

United_States
Re: Bullying

Quote:
Marie Noelle Fequiere wrote: View Post
Talking about bullies, how do you get parents to realize that their beautiful child is one?
Bullies usually generate a lot of feedback. You have to be willing to hear it. When teachers, neighbors, relatives, Cousins, etc. generate feedback that says your 'angel' is behaving in devilish ways; rather than just defending him/her you need to investigate that feedback.

Quote:
Some people say, let the victim defend themselves.
Yes, much discussion in the martial arts, not just Aikido, is totally victim focused, ignoring the larger consequences to 'community'. Is it really necessary that every individual be trained in the martial arts?

An interesting perspective is this article:
http://www.pgpft.com/On_Sheep_Wolves...s-Grossman.htm
I guess I'm a reluctant sheep-dog. I'd hate to have to kill another human being, but if my loved ones are ever threatened I truly hope I would respond, without hesitation, to use immediate & overwhelming, lethal force.
Quote:
Isn't ignoring a bad behavior send the message that it is alright?
Absolutely!
One of the most profound observations, ever, is:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing" --Edmund Burke

And again:
"The world is a dangerous place to live,
not because of the people who are evil,
but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
Albert Einstein

Quote:
I don't have kids, but I cannot imagine letting my child torment my sister's without a comment
I do have 5 kids and 4 grandkids.
While I love them all, unconditionally as persons, I need to be constantly aware of behaviors that are harmful and/or destructive to themselves or others AND call them on those behaviors when necessary.

Bob