View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: Teaching in the times of lawsuit.

I Don't ...... Although there are many martial art schools that do, I prefer not to teach kids because of the very things mentioned above that you can be sued for or accused of.....
It just isn't worth the hassle, therefore I only agree to teach adults.

I have offered to teach/coach aikido completely free of charge to local educational authorities/schools, but they required me to take out indemnity insurance that I would have to fork out for.....
Plus I would have to set it up and finance it and be a professional....?

So there you have it..... I agree and support that children and adolescents should be protected, but not wrapped up in cotton wool as the case is today.....

Political correctness gone mad and common sense? Well......

Take it from a redundant teacher it aint worth the trouble....
I have enjoyed aikido very much over the years and would love to pass on my experience and know how to a younger generation...... but no way if its going to cost me.... been there done that..... not going there any more!!

Modern Society brings all its ills and problems on itself, 'cause it creates them through ill thought out policies and litigation which strangles the would be well meaning coach/teacher of any discipline into a situation where it will be impossible to afford to do whatever they would like to teach and pass on.....

Once upon a time a local youth club would only be too pleased for someone to do this...... now its..... well do you have this that and the other? Before you can even think about starting an initiative.....

Tony