View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #19
kalmen
Dojo: Canberra
Australia
Re: Love training, and I have a heavy build and joint issues.

I am pretty cautious, because I know the limitations of my body and I want to enjoy training because it does me more than just the movement.

I made a mistake with RICE when I applied ice for a whole week, and the pain increased, so I started heat and that did me better.

Practicing Aikido has helped me a lot to learn about how to manage my health and how to find workarounds for common pain killers and pharmaceuticals.

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
It sounds like you are taking good care already. When soft tissue is damaged, there is a 6 to 8 wk healing time based on things going on at the cellular level; my understanding is that it is easy to mess up and redamage (and make acute injuries into chronic ones) but not much way to speed the healing - things like RICE, etc are good for healing but simply create an optimal healing environment during the above time period. In terms of ice vs heat: the usual rule of thumb is ice to an acute injury during the first three days PLUS whenever swelling recurs; heat to spasmed muscles and to chronic injuries. For things like arthritis and the intermediate healing period, mostly the advice now seems to be: whichever feels better to you.