Old 01-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #29
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Effectiveness of Aikido in a combat situation

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
William Hazen wrote:

Yea, but we have "discovered" in the last several years that technology doesn't always work. It wins the battle but not the war.
Not always in a insergency anyway But even here things like MAPP vehicle technology Anti IED and RPG technologies are vital to Soldier survival.

Quote:
I put "discovered" in quotes. Come on...Rangers know this best!

Major Robert Rogers
Francis Marion
J.S. Mosby
William O Darby
Lets not forget my ancestor Ranger Moses Hazen LOL

Quote:
The four SOF Truths (Special Operations Forces)

1. Humans are more important that hardware
2. Quality is better than quantity
3. Competent special operations forces cannot be created after a crisis occurs.
4. Special operations forces cannot be mass produced.
Amen... but I don't think Aikido is being taught anywhere within SOCOM. Why? Because there are (as you have pointed out time and again) more effective Close Combat Skill Sets. Google James Williams and you see some of the Koryu type "stuff" he's teaching SOF. He's been helping out Snake eaters for quite a few years now.

Quote:
There are varying opinions in the military about what it takes to truely win a war. It takes the right skill sets to win the hearts and mind and to reconcile bad situations. Hopefully before they even start.

This is true victory.

I'd say the same applies to Budo and Aikido, which is why I study it. I have hope that we can produce human beings with the above qualities even outside a military situation, that we will become a better world.

Alas, many of you are correct....I think what we are actually doing in Budo escapes many, or they don't reallly care. Budo is hard work, mentally and physically if you are really practicing budo!
Amen.No quibble with anything here Sir.

Rangers Lead the Way!

William Hazen