View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #539
GeneC
United_States
Re: The continued Evolution of Aikido

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
Not generally against howitzers, Uzis, hand grenades, M-60, aerial bombardment and a host of other possibilities of grievously unfair advantage. Not generally comfortable fighting, period. Should anyone be? Unfair advantage is the name of the game.
I know this is an exaggeration, but still, if your MA fighting system is lacking, then there's room for improvement, room to evolve.

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
Half of budo is the preparation -- of those unfair advantages. The other half is a matter of instantaneous will, not calculated effort or result.....
Well we certainly have different ideas about Budo and fighting, etc.
Readiness to see it when it happens - we call mindset, which is constantly scanning your environment and perceiving any threats and having a plan to win the confrontation( which might mean running away).
Luck is the residue of hard work.

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
The best budo seems merely a idle gesture, with all the utterly natural, unwasted will behind it of scratching an sudden itch.
I have no idea what that means, but to me Budo is the total spirit of fighting, which includes physically preparing/harmonizing your body, mind and spirit for battle. Budo is fighting without fighting, form without form, art without art. So the very doctrine of Aikido goes against Budo.

Only between a single breath is Yin/Yang in harmony
Emotion is pure energy flowing feely thru the body-Dan Millman