View Single Post
Old 06-18-2002, 10:35 AM   #12
Richard Harnack
Dojo: Aikido Institute of Mid-America
Ai symbol Feeling "qualified"

Quote:
Originally posted by MaylandL

I am having some doubts as to whether I should continue to teach at the dojo that I am currently at.

Having read this thread, there seems to be some concensus that some accreditation for instructors may be desirable.
Just by way of background, I've been training in aikido for about 9 nine years and ju jitsu for about 3 years doing about 4 to 6 hours a week. I was awarded the rank of nidan about 12 months ago. ...

For the past 3 years, I've been teaching beginners and more experienced students including shodan students.

I guess I am having a "small crisis of faith" for want of a better phrase in terms of my own abilities as an aikidoka and consequently as an assistant to Sensei.
I have spoken to sensei about this but I still have some doubts. I enjoy teaching and sharing what I know, but I know so very little and am absolutely gobsmacked about how much there is to learn. Given this am I really doing a service to sensei and his students?
Also, if you are the sensei, what you look for in senior students (their personal and technical attributes/characteristics) that would make you feel comfortable to allow them to teach students on your behalf.
Mayland -
The first 10 years are the hardest, both in training and in teaching. So hang in there with both and strive to become even better.

I recommend for all teachers to look at others who teach (in all fields, not just Aikido or M/A). Which of these do you feel were really excellent teachers and what did they do that you think you would be able to do. Good teaching methods do not change with subject taught. Try different ones on for size and use those that "fit".

Accrediting instructors. This is neither a good idea nor a bad idea. Some type of organizational accreditation is an useful guideline for people who are "shopping" for a dojo. In such a case, it informs people that the particular instructor and dojo has a national or international body behind them. However, this type of accreditation says nothing about ability to instruct beyond some agreed upon minimum.

It is also a bad idea, because in some cases "guidelines" and "standards" become "rules" and "laws" which can be wielded by orgnaizational hacks and politicians who may have stopped doing anything except to "run" the organization. In some cases this leads to political infighting and rectal kissing with the formation of "in" and "out" groups. Promotions then become more of a political choice than a merit choice. Hence it is a bad idea.

What I look for in senior students is their technical ability of course, but for those who want to help teach I also look at how they communicate with beginners and other advanced students. "Experts" and "Know-it-alls" who spend much of their teaching time talking instead of training are apprised that this is not the standard here. Showing how well you do the technique is not the same as helping someone else discover how well they can do the technique. This is why I hold instructor's classes.

I have much more I can say, but this gives the general train of thought. Good luck, hang in there.

Yours In Aiki,
Richard Harnack