View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 08:33 AM   #255
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: The continued Evolution of Aikido

Ron,

I with your comments on effectiveness. It is all realitive.

BJJers tend to practice a in a method that pressure test grappling. We do it in such a way that you gain a fair amount of effective compentence in a short time. As such those that are concerned with those aspects of the spectrum are well served by it.

Aikido on the other hand, breaks down the problem/study with a different type of methodology that is designed to develop other attributes of the spectrum of martial movement. It may or may not be the best choice for someone for someone on a short, focused timeline.

There are tradeoffs with both methods I think concerning effectiveness.

There is alot of overlap in the methodologies, and frankly it is interesting to me exactly how much more closer they are related than they are not!

Going back to the topic at hand concerning evolution of aikido.

Again, we have to define and agree that aikido moved away from it's original intent.

I think that it IS reasonable to assume that aikido in many dojos may have gotten a little "dead". This especially can happen if folks simply practice it and don't continue to re-interpret and look at it critically.

I think aikidoka can learn much from the methodologies being employed and implemented in the MMA movement. Arts like Systema, BJJ, and others are doing somethings right, and there are many of us out there that are bringing things into our personal aikido that I believe are improving it.

these are good things. In fact, O'Sensei himself, would have been called an MMAer based on how he viewed and synthesized aikido.

Evolution or change though? Hmmmm, a tough one.

My perspective is that the basic foundational underpinnings, values, philosophy is still the same and will be for the next 100 years. As such, we should concentrate and focus on developing those things and attributes that best encourage growth along the foundations of aikido.

As such, the methods of practice that have been handed down to us through Aikikai and our various organizations are probably where the center of mass should be focused.

If we start changing the art wholely based on the perspective and criteria that judo, bjj, MMA, or other arts...then we run the risk of losing the lessons and methodolgy that imparts the Philosophy of Aikido.

Then we will be looking at each other trying to figure out why we are doing BJJ wearing a hakama when we could do it much better without one!