View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #13
Joe McParland

Dojo: Sword Mountain Aikido & Zen
United_States
Re: Why did O'Sensei create aikido?

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote: View Post
Everyone takes from this art that which they want. So would it be fair to say that, if I chose to take the physical attitude and hone it to whatever level of effectiveness I am able to attain, I am a lesser example of a compassionate human being?
The person who makes a point of pursuing or preaching martial perfection is no more or less compassionate than the person who makes a point of pursuing or preaching love, harmony, or spiritual perfection. They both have something very much in common.

You find this point within your own circumstances, within your own experience. If you feel compelled to share the point with others, you share it in your own way. And if your circumstances are such that you happen to be a martial artist, perhaps you shape your martial practice to use as a pointer to your understanding. And perhaps you name it "Fred"... or maybe "Aikido"---since the name is hardly important. And as you teach it and you see that people just don't get what you're trying to convey, perhaps you get old and pissy, lamenting that people aren't practicing your Aikido. Perhaps.