View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
Voitokas

United_States
Re: Aikido Or Squash

Quote:
Don McConnell wrote: View Post
I disagree that the reason most people take up aikido is that they are interested in it as a spiritual path. They may COME to see that but based on my experience (14 years is a moderate timeframe) most people come in, see aikidoka practicing, seeing people being thrown more or less effortlessly around and are mostly interested in wanting to be able to DO THAT. They may be interested in it as a self defense art, or as a physical activity, but rarely have I ever talked to a new student who walked in and had them say "my I want to use aikido to develop myself spiritually". Just ain't so. Of course they didn't realize we are at least most of the time cooperating with each other, and only after a protracted time of practice can we "really" take balance and "really" effect the throw. If they hang around long enough to get there, then they may have started seeing the "spirituality" of it all.
Maybe not many, but that's why I came to it, FWIW

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
Aikido by it's nature than of a spiritual path verses a combat path is what is attractive to new and old Aikidoka.... It has elements of spirituality; a higher being, leadership and personal development learned through the body that teaches the spirit (mind, mental discipline, attitude, etc) and is practical. Besides being a fun and challenging physical activity that is self- competition to better the self both physically in exercise and improving a skill, and mentally rewarding. And it has a different perspective on things that is intriguing to many....Aikido is a complex activity because it deals and focuses so deeply with the human spirt, spirituality, human development, etc...
Maybe that's why so many come to Aikido from other martial arts? And I would have to say that one of the best things about Aikido as opposed to other physical activity is that it's not a sport; that it's not competitive, that one isn't bullied into participation, and that lack of commitment is not punished from above but from within. For me anyway.

Last edited by Voitokas : 11-08-2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: html flub

I am not an expert