Old 11-07-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Extending Aiki and Aiki Extensions

Quote:
Brandon Williamscraig wrote: View Post
Seems to me the future of Aiki Extensions, the organization, and extensions of aiki practices through arts of peace by whatever name, are tied together but are not identical. If we follow our individual callings toward peace-making with integrity then personal, local, national, and international efforts will grow around the world.

I'm committed to growing an inclusive training community, by whatever name, that works together in service toward that end, but it seems harder than it should be to get folks to collaborate on the kind of scale the world really needs right now.

I'd more than value an exchange of ideas here that could lead to more extensions of aiki principles beyond the mat. Will you help me make that more likely to happen by inviting people to this thread and talking it up?
Mr Williamscraig,

I live in Hiroshima and am often asked by pressure groups whether I support 'The Spirit of Hiroshima'. Of course, it is difficult to answer No here, but then the questioner always assumes that my Yes indicates support for whatever the pressure group is supporting--perhaps a particular view about the morality of the atomic bombing of the city. I have a similar problem with Aiki Extensions.

I had a rather unpleasant experience with Aiki Extensions a few years ago (in these very forums) and I have given the organization a wide birth ever since. With respect, my own problems with your post are the 'ideological' assumptions that lie behind it and underpin it. These are clear to me from your post, especially the second and third paragraphs.

You proceed from 'individual callings towards peace-making with integrity', but then seek to establish 'an inclusive training community, by whatever name, that works together in service toward that end'. I am not sure what this means, or why we need to establish this (It sounds like a kind of Peace CIA). We have a number of these groups here in Hiroshima.

In the third paragraph, you want an 'exchange of ideas here that could lead to more extensions of aiki principles beyond the mat', but you note elsewhere that nothing has really happened since June. Perhaps there is a connection. I note the title of the thread and suggest that you might think that Extending Aiki more or less automatically leads to Aiki Extensions. After all, you are an executive director of the latter organization.

Apologies for the negative tone, but I have to state that the issues raised by my earlier negative experience were not really resolved--at least to my own satisfaction. Of course, I am biased, but then again, so are you.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury