View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Koshi Nage

Quote:
Benjamin Edelen wrote: View Post
It appears to be one of those technical details that offers endless debate and minimal significance.
Ha, I really liked this quote, Then below that I see:

Quote:
Why would a technical detail of a technique be insignificant?
I see the validity in both statements, but I still tend to agree with the first much more.

It is very reasonable to say that doing something a different way, makes it a different technique, because that is a true statement. However It's also just a name, that points to a thing, and not actually the thing itself.

For example; Koshi nage is a very general term, it simply means "hip throw". That name points to a thing, the thing is someone being thrown by way of the hip. Now off the top of my head, I can think of about 5 distinctly different ways to accomplish that task. Those ways are all different and so might be the names by which I call them. But the end result is the same; someone got thrown by way of my hip.

We could debate the distinctions about those "techniques", but really they are all just hip tosses. I guess it depends whether your interest is in the overall effect or the specifics that led up to that effect.