View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #19
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: No Aikido dojo - what now?? :(

Joe no problem, I am following you fine.

Joe wrote:

Quote:
Of course it depends on which style of aikido you're drawn to, and which teacher, and so forth. And of course if you study judo, someone will say that we have to undo all of that muscling and readjust your ma-ai; if you study gjj, we have to undo your tendencies to go to the ground; if you study drajj, we may have to correct your spiritual perspective; if you study karate, we have to undo your hard blocks in favor of soft parries; ...
Yes, I agree there are always "small" things you have to learn/re-learn differently. I am struggling with this in Judo right now as it relates to my 5 years experience in BJJ. They are minor though and I have found it fairly easy to adjust to the various dojos with no issues and have not found it confusing at all.

i.e. I don't "forget" and "pull guard" in Judo or in Aikido dojos. Some one simply had to tell me once that you can't do wrist locks in judo for me to understand to not do that.

Yes, it can be a challenge to see a opportunity and KNOW that it is there, or to find a person in a turtle and be slightly perplexed because they just sit there hunkered down in Judo, but I do find those things to be minor.

What is important, I think, is that at the core level what you are learning is essentially the same.

You "might" be successful in using speed and muscling in judo at the beginners level where all lis equal. Same with BJJ. However, at the core, good teachers are teaching you the same basic principles that you learn in aikido.

There is as much Kokyo in judo, or "tearing silk" when getting kuzushi when done correctly as there is in Aikido or CMAs.

They just may not verbalize it or focus on it in the same manner or order of priority.

At the core of kuzushi though, you will learn good balance and develop a good base to build on when you focus on these things in Aikido I think.

Joe wrote:

Quote:
What is correct? That's another story. Is structured methodology or pedagogy correct? Maybe for some, not for others. Who knows? I put on a white belt and show up here or there; guaranteed, someone there will tell me I'm all wrong
LOL...yes this is loaded and I was sort of chumming the waters

As you know, these is the big issue of the last couple of years, months, days on aikiweb.

I am training in aikido, judo, and jiujitsu these days...belts as you state are really irrelevant. I go to class and take whatever advice guidance and pointers I am giving and try to "shut up" and train. I am told I am wrong on a daily basis in all three in some small way.

I am okay with that though as it is okay to be "wrong". I have my own filter mechanisms and/or criteria that I process information/knowledge and make decisions. If I am wrong, I am wrong...if not in my mind, I say "thanks" and let it go.

I learn more in the end that way.

Is there a "right way" to do aikido. I don't think so. I do think there are some methods and people that are better than others in "Aiki".

As is discussed here on Aikiweb....I don't think you can really tell it until you've experienced both good and bad stuff. Having been exposed to some interesting folks in the past couple of years, I can say there are those out there that are "more right" than others...and it ain't based on the degree or status in aikido necessarily.

Good discussion and I hope this helps the OP.