View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 01:36 AM   #103
observer
United_States
Re: The continued Evolution of Aikido

Hello,
I have not seen too many comments on my recent post. Once again, I encourage you to open your minds to my new approach to Aikido.

As I have mentioned before, to me aikido is not a dream, vision, illusion or a spiritual breakthrough. It is just a preparation to serve our society in a better way.

I totally agree with memorable quotes by Yukiyoshi Takamura on pacifism, especially with this one: "A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence." I am also still under impression of two Morihei Ueshiba's intriguing quotes: "Learn and forget" (mentioned in this topic) and "Catch the secret and you can do my level of aikido in three months." (Robert Nadeau, AJ 117).

First, let me quote and comment on some of your answers to my first post.

"I think the below video does a much better job of demonstrating ‘Reverse Intimidation'."

This clip "Aikido Reverse Intimidation" is not an instructional video and definitely is not intended for entertainment. It shows an idea of how to use aikido as an efficient and reliable tool to achieve a certain goal. It works and also sends a message. It depends on you how are you going to read it. BTW, so far more than 10000 people watched it.

"Strange logic to self defense."

Based on my 18 years of experience of practicing aikido in today's dojos, aikidokas usually practice twice a week and perform multiple techniques, only repeating each one from time to time. Such practice doesn't seem to be successful, and if aikido's purpose is teaching self defense, such approach appear illogical. Aikidokas are also distracted from learning trained reflexes by mixing in other elements such as teachings on etiquette, breathing, meditation, kihon, suwari-waza, ukemi and weapons. Not to mention unrealistic attacks. It is like learning how to drive a car by reading a book. My methods are very logical because they simply teach a person how to defend himself by developing trained reflexes with constant practice and repetition.

"Show me the robot!"

"Here you are! You will need a compressor, a low pressure air tank, a place to install it (I have chosen 3 inexpensive floor lamps), and obviously the Kit. It works with a small keyboard and also can be controlled by a computer. The idea follows a concept of a short distance attack with a minimal body movement in response.

Finally, let me explain a practical approach to my favorite quotes mentioned above. I have created Aikido Workout. It is an hour long exercise divided to 21 parts. Each part is supported by a piece of music. If this surprises you, let me assure you that this is nothing new in Martial Art. For example, it is not a common knowledge that an Argentinian Tango has its roots in practicing knife's fighting. Of course, without women.

Repetitions can be boring and therefore the element of music works great with the routine. The music lets establish rhythm, tempo and breaks between exercises. You can practice Aikido Workout alone (kata) or with a partner (uchi komi). There are 3 individual parts (a worm up and two for common movements) and 18 others, strictly dedicated to 6 techniques I have mentioned above. Lets' do simple math. There are 1500 repetitions during one hour. If you practice, for instance twice a day, in the morning alone and in the afternoon with a partner, you simply make 2200 repetitions a day. Over a course of 3 months it would be 200,000. Is this enough for one to 'learn and forget' about it? I do not know, but what I do know - it is a lot. Isn't it? The goal of my Aikido Workout is to teach how to respond to a real threat by a trained reflex as fast as the blink of an eye,