Old 10-03-2008, 05:42 AM   #24
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: A Sense of Priorities

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
All this discussion on aikiweb about waza and ki and love and shihonage, and who had it and vectors and Kodo this and Ueshiba that and Sagawa all the time, broadcasting on AM twenty-four hours a day. And my eyes spin around in my head. So I go out and train. Grinding out the reps. Standing like a tree.
And I ask myself, there's many a time I'd rather be in a dim bar somewhere, cigarette smoke wreathing the lights, me out on the dance floor with my silver haired woman with her hair a little mussed up, beer on her breath and a run up one fish net stocking, with Omar and the Howlers singing "Big Round World," with another George Dickel sitting on the table waiting for me to swing by.
Shut up and train? Not tonight.
Hello Ellis,

Amazing thread. Haven't a clue what it means, apart from dancing, laddered stockings, beer on the breath, and hair not arranged quite right (I presume this is what mussed means, or is it a certain kind of shampoo).

Clearly more research will be needed into the cultural context of aikido, especially on some crucial questions:

Who was George Stickel? Was he one of those 'hidden' students of Sokaku Takeda, like the Korean we have heard abourt?
Why was he 'sitting on the table' and waiting for you' to 'swing by'? Did you have to do a special kind of walk, perhaps as a signal to receive some vital information on Ueshiba's relationship to Takeda, essential for your book? Perhaps some essential information about vectors that Erick has not yet discovered?
Who are Omar and the Howlers? Are they some middle eastern religious group? Perhaps an off-shoot of Omoto in the Middle East (after all, Omoto was an international religion and the names of both groups begin with O, which might mean Omega, and is probably a hidden reference to kotodama).
In addition, they were Howlers, which is probably because they were howling (= a special form of what Omoto calls chinkon-kishin).
Are Omer and the Howlers noted for internal training, or do they just prefer to do waza?

Of course, a major question raised by this thread--and probably one not even considered by Ueshiba, would be: the essential connection between dancing, waza and IT.

PAG

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 10-03-2008 at 05:56 AM.

P A Goldsbury