View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #21
eyrie

Australia
Re: YouTube: Yoshinobu Takeda Sensei as Obi Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
I practice Aikido and I don't understand what Aikido is. I wouldn't worry about what folks think.

The other day, I pulled up to the intersection on the way home, the lights were not working. there was a guy in some sort of martial uniform stand in the middle of the intersection. he waved his arms and cars flew by in the direction his arms pointed. I thought his use of the force for no-touch waza was pretty good, impressive even. a thought occur to me that if it was a judo or a bjj guy stood in the middle of the intersection, he/she/it would be one-with-the-pavement or one-with-everything.

have you noticed that whenever you are doing something and you heard a hand clap, you would stop and have the urge to find a line to line-up?
Phi, thanks for the laugh, that was damn funny!

I remember one time someone asked Takeda what he would do if he was physically accosted on the street. He cocked his head to the side, and raised his eyebrow with a quizzical look on his face, as if not understanding why the question was asked. Then, in the next moment, he nonchalantly replied "Run", as his lips curled up in a imperceptible smile. As he turned away, apparently bored by how the conversation was proceeding, or not... I couldn't help but smile to myself. You have to understand the context and the man himself.

As such, one should consider the fact that *maybe* he's not demonstrating "martial" application.... *maybe* he's demonstrating an "idea"... a "concept"...

Often, the trap is in thinking that since Aikido is a "martial art", that any demonstration would be something of "immediate martial value"... sometimes it's not... and mostly it's not... in fact, it's more like "never".

Look beyond "technique"... look beyond...

Ignatius