View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #20
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: YouTube: Yoshinobu Takeda Sensei as Obi Wan Kenobi

Not referring to Takeda specifically...

In my experience, practitioners that end up doing this kind of demonstration almost always show signs of its possible existence in everything they do. That said, let's face it, because of Aikido's uke/nage dynamic, there are seeds of cooperation throughout most of the art (at least everywhere one is working with the uke/nage dynamic) and thus a potential for this kind of demonstration at every turn.

In my opinion, in order to capitalize upon the positive elements of the uke/nage dynamic, current instructors, and, most importantly, instructors of the future, should participate in training that does not include the uke/nage dynamic as much as in training that does.

Additionally, once an uke has moved beyond the beginner phases of ukemi, instructors should tell their uke to never throw themselves during kihon waza, saying, "Hey, if I can't throw you under these ideal conditions without your help, you should not be training here." Please don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we include resistance within kihon waza training, but there's a lot of area between flying through the air when no leverage at all is being employed and fulfilling the energy print of a given technique when uke.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.