View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
ThomasSchmidt
Spain
No Aikido dojo - what now?? :(

Hi to all,

first I'll have to apologize for my bad english - it's not my mother language...

I've been desiring to learn Aikido for years but didn't find any possibility. I'm living in a small town and the next Aikido dojo is 150 kilometers away. The only martial arts offered are Judo/Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing, Tai Chi and Karate. That's all. Now I wondered, ok, if I can't learn Aikido i could learn something similar and then later, whenever possible, switch to Aikido (supposing I move with my couple into a bigger town in let's say 5 years). I guess Jiu-Jitsu could be the one "nearest" to Aikido if I'm not mistaken. What about the movement pattern? Is it difficult to change after years?

So what do you think of the idea to start Jiu-Jitsu and to switch to Aikido or is it a bad idea? Is there at all a way for me to "aikidolize" Jiu-Jitsu - to learn Jiu-Jitsu with keeping an eye on finding out certain priciples?

Other idea was to get me a program I heard of - Aikido 3D. I'm totally aware that nobody can learn martial arts only from watching movements and without any partner to train - not to speak of something complex like Aikido. The idea behind was: Is a little (and if it's only watching the movements) better than nothing? Or is the risk of learning the movements wrong too big?

At last ressort I could do boxing to get well-trained physics.

Wow, many (and probably stupid) questions... thanks for reading
Hope anyone has some ideas