View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #101
Mark Gibbons
United_States
Re: How Long and In What Manner to Great Mastery?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Yes
Can they stop their teachers in their tracks.
Are encouraged to do so.
Are being specifically and in great detail taught how to stop the teacher in their tracks.
And they -the students- have skills that are increasingly challenging the teachers to stay ahead in their own pursuits or have the student shoot past.
And without knowing rank, you can sort them by skills
Thanks for the list Dan.

Quote:
Even hands on I think you have to be very good yourself in order to tell the subtle differences between very good, great mastery and something you wanted to believe in.
Regards,
Mark
Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
I don't think that's true at all. On one level you are going to get handled regardless of your efforts-you'll know straight away you are far outmatched.
On another level you should be also dealing with power far beyond your abilities. And that power should be unusual and obvious.
And so far I haven't mentioned waza or subtleties in anyway.

Subtleties in waza? ....
I wasn't talking about waza at all. I was failing to make the point that even hands on it is difficult to tell how good someone is.Its easy to tell they are a lot better than me. But, from my level of suckiness, its almost impossible to tell the difference between the good and very good, much last great masters. In most fields I'm familiar with the distinctions between the the highly skilled are subtle distinctions.

Thanks,
Mark