View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #71
DH
United_States
Re: Using ki-skills for "aiki" in Daito-Ryu

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
Okay - well I do not mean to disrespect anyone.

Let me put it this way. So you go out and meet someone to feel their martial arts power or whatever. What questions are you asking (verbally or just physically)? I know what questions I am asking...

Rob
Questons? None, till after.
Give me one minute with hands-on. Internal power /aiki...happens. You can't hide it, you can't fake it and technique won't disguise it-don't let them do technique. Then you can experiment and play to explore as you try and take each other off your feet in a give and take. Its fun. Waza and grappling is optional.
For guys who have it and learned it through kata they can demonstrate what they know as well. Some, I have personally seen were limited, in various things where-even though they had some internal skills - those were assigned to certain movements. So you show them a more complete approach not dependant on shapes. forms or movements. Others, though still trained through kata, have a deeper understanding anyway. It's all fun, and still easily demonstrated.

All of the questions... lead to debate over intellectual understanding. Some say they can't articulate their understanding of what they are doing in their own bodies, others speak very well, but when you meet them can't do much. So, its catch-as-catch-can while debating.

Last edited by DH : 09-25-2008 at 09:46 PM.