View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Kerryann
United Kingdom
Broken Clavicle - Advice sort

Hi all,

I am sorry if this thread is in the wrong section.

Sorry I have not introduced myself sooner, but I thought this was a prime opportunity. I have been practicing Aikido for about 6 months and have grown to love it with a passion, I am sure most of you can relate to this. I wish I had taken up Aikido sooner, but never felt confident enough to do this. I am a female, 28, living in the UK and a trained engineer by trade.

I broke my collar bone last week whilst practicing Ukemi - forward rolls to be precise. Ukemi has never been my strong point as I have always had a mental block when it comes to rolling and have always felt that I roll more like a fruit bowl. I must admit that I am concerned about taking Ukemi once the collar bone is repaired and many people have told me to give Aikido up. I will certainly not be doing this.

Breaking my collar bone is frustrating more from the point of view that it means I am off the mat for a while. I tried watching the class, but I think this made things worse.

Have any of you had similar experiences with a collar bone?, how long were you out of training? And does anyone have advice on how to overcome the fear of taking a roll. I have no problem with falling like is required in perhaps Irimi Nage, but as for rolling....Ahhhh!

Help, advice and comments gratefully received.

Kerry