View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #9
Allen Beebe
United_States
Re: On Talking About Internal Training

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
I don't know Toby or Howard, but I'm satisfied that Dan has some degree of jin skills from what he's written, Rob John has some degree of jin skills from what he's written, Mark Murray is working on things (from vids, etc., that he's posting), and so on. I've seen what Ushiro does and what others in the Aikido or related community have done.
Well, that is something. And I suppose Dan is "satisfied" that Toby and Howard have "some degree" of skills based on his recommendation.

Quote:
But the point I'd make is that if someone has something that they're contributing to the public community, for instance if they're "showing things" at seminars, I'd feel better if they'd post more on "how-to's".
Yes, but how does your "feel[ing] better" concern others? I can see how a plug from someone generally recognized by others (who have felt them) could benefit a seminar, but it sounds as though you think that they *require* some form of recognition from some "authority" to allow themselves to be experienced. This doesn't seem to reflect the realism that you have conveyed in your most recent posts nor does it seem fair.

Quote:
If they can't post to the public, then my assumption is that they're somehow "prohibited" from disclosing what they know to outsiders, so how much they would actually teach of these specific skills at a workshop comes into question.
This reasoning holds true if they "can't" post to the public. It doesn't hold true if they simply "don't" post to the public. Furthermore, George Ledyard has felt you, Ushiro Kenji, Ark Aizawa, Rob John, and Howard and Toby, and obviously feels training (and teaching) with both Howard (repeatedly) and Toby is beneficial.

Quote:
In other words, I'd be happier if I could "get a taste" from some public discussion of simple basics rather than just a "go see" recommendation.
So I'm guessing I won't be seeing you there Mike. Too bad. I'd still like to see you in the future though!

Quote:
The forums are a better clearing house, in my opinion, of what people actually understand when I can see what they can verbalize about even simple basics.
This may be more true of you than of others though.

Quote:
If some one is willing to show "the public" outside of their koryu, etc., at a workshop, surely they can show "the public" a taste on the internet?
Once again, "can show" and "choose to show" are two different things.

These guys probably don't feel like they have anything to prove to us any more than a Chen family member probably feels compelled to verbally vet themselves on the boards.

If there are doubts, folks can go out and feel for themselves. No?

That being said, I am grateful for those that do share as much as they choose to. (Even though the sharing is rather restricted compared to all that they COULD share wouldn't you agree? Everyone draws a line somewhere.)

All the best,
Allen

~ Allen Beebe