View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
Keith Larman
United_States
Re: Correlation of Aikido and Daito-Ryu Waza

Quote:
John Driscoll wrote: View Post
Keith,

I agree with your comment regarding "correlation." I used the word "correlation" in the sense of presenting or setting forth a relationship. In hindsight, "Correspondence of Aikido and Daito-ryu Waza" would have been better title for the article.
Thanks and regardless I think it is a great article. My only concern is that there is always someone who will argue that the entire thing must be thrown out because this isn't really correlation in any conventional sense of the word. Correlation is an attempt to quantify the "agreement" (or even correspondence) of variance in the observed data. But here we don't really have variance and some could spend a lifetime nitpicking whether this shihonage is the same as that shihonage. Or how to quantify each one. But that isn't the point of your article if I'm reading it correctly.

Basically what you've done is cataloged and cross referenced techniques to show how the curriculum of the two arts overlaps considerably. That in and of itself is the real lesson here. And greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lord what I wouldn't give to have all this same information in a book with photographs of both for comparison's sake. Given the variety of terminology it would be a fantastic resource. Gee, someone could get published doing something like that...