View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #19
Rennis Buchner
Japan
Re: The "real" techniques not taught to everyone?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
In koryu as I know it , men are taught linearly and directly and only a select few get to the top. But its outlined and there is direct, real, waza taught. not fake waza or withholding of aiki and a different training model for a select few.
Its a different thing altogether then what you are talking about.
No confusion at all. I completely realize that the situation regarding "aiki" is different from the koryu "norm" (hence my comment about building the car and never getting the engine). My point was only that I think someone like Sokaku Takeda, etc could (and I suspect probably did) rationalize the whole "only giving one person the real deal" as simply being "traditional" and the "correct way to do things" from their point of view.

Whether it is extreme or a betrayal of students' trust is a whole other topic, although again, having met a few ultra-conservatives over here, I suspect that in their eyes they wouldn't see much betrayal of trust either. They'd probably just think something like "What betrayal? The one guy who proved himself worthy got it. The others never proved themselves worthy, their problem not mine." The reasons could be anything from a sense of upholding the tradition passed down to them all the way to paranoia (something which Sokaku Takeda had in spades by most accounts), greed, selfishness, lack of teaching ability, or whatever, but regardless it is still easy of such a person to use, and probably believe in, tradition as a justification for it and think they are doing the right thing.

My personal feelings on the issue are more along the lines of "Is the method of transmission in the best interest of the ryu?". And it would seem that in the "aiki" realm of things that is the main issue in question (to put it lightly). I happen to agree that there is no real justification for false teaching to formal students and feel that such behavior reflects badly on both yourself and the ryu (or general art if we want to bring this back to aikido) you represent. If you claim to teach an art, you should be teaching that art. Pretty simple in my opinion.

Again, my ONLY point was that in Japan there is more than enough precedent for what Sokaku Takeda, etc did, regarding only giving the "goods" to one person and screw the rest and in their own eyes they probably felt they did nothing wrong. I am by no means trying to justify what they did as "right" or "fair" or anything else. My personal feelings are that such a model of transmission probably isn't in the best interest of your ryu, but regardless, it definitely is not something unheard of.

More random thoughts,
Rennis

Last edited by Rennis Buchner : 09-13-2008 at 09:54 PM.